Monday, May 23, 2011
You can wrap the lettuce in a host of ways. Cut each leaf into four, take the mid rib out and make cones of each part, hold it together with tooth picks and fill with your choice of meat or vegetables.
If you are just having it with your family then thin the mid rib of the leaf and wrap meat or vegetables in each romaine lettuce leaf.
Ingredients for the filling:
Chicken breast - 1 lb
Soya bean sauce - 3 Tbspn
Thail chilli - 1
Ginger - 1/4 tspn chopped or grated fine
Garlic - 2 cloves chopped fine
Sesame seeds - 1 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn
Romaine Lettuce - 6 leaves
Onion - to taste
Tomato - 1/2
1. Chop the chicken breast into small pieces. Marinate with 2 tbspn of soya sauce and refrigerate overnight or at least marinate for 2 hours
2. After chicken has marinated it's ready to stir fry.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and green chilies - saute till the raw smell turns to aromatic.
4. Add the marinated chicken with juices and stir fry on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and stir again. Alternately, toast the sesame seed and add to the cooked chicken and toss
6. Add the remaining 1 tbspn of soya sauce to the chicken towards the end of the cooking. Some soya sauce comes with a lot of salt therefore make sure you test for salt and taste before adding the last spoon of soya sauce.
7. Once the meat has cooled wrap it in a whole lettuce leaf. Or else, cut each leaf into four, make a cone shape of it and fill the chicken and hold the leaf together using tooth pick.
You can use a soya vingear dip or peanut sauce.