Wednesday, September 15, 2010
We enjoyed this as an evening snack yesterday, but it was quite filling. So much so that we didn't eat any dinner. Therefore, enjoy it as a one pot meal or snack but either ways you will not be disappointed. It's delicious.
On a different note:
Today is festive because of a pretty little girl,
she was born on this day a few years back.
Her stories and spirit she lends this blog.
She is Nami's daughter, I wish her a very happy birthday!
M- God Bless!
I have used the recipe from our blog given here. This will make 8 Calzones.
1. Leave the pizza dough to rise to double in size, approximately 2 hours and go on to make the filling
Chicken Breast - 1 big
Onion - 1 medium size
Tomato - 1
Garlic - 4 cloves
Peas - 1/2 cup
Capsicum - 1/4 to 1/2
Green Chilis - 3 nos (optional)
Seasoning - a generous dash
( Mrs. Dash Extra spicy seasoning)
Antipasto - 1/2 cup (this was a mixture of cured artichoke, black and green olives and bell pepper)
Olive Oil - 1 Tbspn
Cheese - 1/2 cup (mix of parmesan, Asiago and Romano)
Egg white - of 1 egg
1. Clean and chop chicken into tiny pieces
2. Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and saute, followed by garlic
3. Once the onions have become translucent add the chicken pieces and saute till it turns white
4. Add chopped tomato, seasoning, peas and salt about 1/4 tspn and saute
5. Keep the vessel covered and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken has cooked through
6. Add the capsicum stir in and cook for a minute and add the antipasto and stir in and remove from heat
1. Once the dough rises, which takes about 2 hours, punch it down and divide into 8 equal parts
2. Roll each part into discs as much as you can roll out. About 1/4-1/2 inch thickness
3. Spoon in the filling, sprinkle over 1 Tbspn of cheese on one half of the disc.
4. Lightly apply water to the edge of the disc
5. Lift the other half over to cover the filling and edges of the disc meet. With a fork seal the calzone
6. Beat an egg white and using a pasty brush do an egg wash over the calzone
7. Bake in a pre heated over for 360 D F for 10 minutes or until the calzone is golden brown on top
Serve with marinara sauce as dinner or enjoy like you would a savory snack.