Friday, November 13, 2009
Urad dal (black gram)-1cup
A few fenugreek seeds(if you are using the batter only for dosa-this will make dosa more crispy)
Onion-1 big(sliced thin)
Curry leaves-1 Sprig
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
1. Soak the rice and dal for 5 - 6 hours
2. Grind the rice and dal and mix well. Ferment for at least 8 hours.If you are in a cold country keep the batter in the oven after warming the oven a bit.Do not overheat.
3. Again mix the batter well after adding salt.
4. The consistency should be just enough to pour on a tawa/griddle and should be able to spread it well with the bottom of the ladle.
5.Keep the dosakkallu(the cast iron tawa/griddle)/ a non sticky shallow pan and heat it on medium high over the stove. Spray with oil if the pan is not non stick. Pour one ladle of batter when the pan is hot enough (when you sprinkle water you get that sizzling sound)and spread it as thin as possible.If you wish you could spread a little bit butter/ghee(clarified butter) on it.I normally skip this step :-)
6. When one side is done (takes about a minute), read golden brown, flip over and let the other side also get cooked .(you don't have to do this if your dosa is very very thin)
7. Flip over again and put 2 Tbsp of masala on top and spread it using the spatula.
8. Fold over the dosa to cover the masala.
9.Serve hot with the chutney of your choice/coconut chutney/ sambar/