Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Potato and Cauliflower
I made this potato and cauliflower dish a while ago, and it tastes great with rotis ! This is a simple recipe with the only trial being it calls for slow cooking. You could microwave the potato and cauliflower and then mix it with the masala for an easier/faster option. But the slow cooking of the vegetables with the masala makes it so much tastier. If you can be patient for about 15 - 20 minutes to cook the taste will tell you it was well worth the wait.
Feel free to throw in more or less chilies and chili powder as per your taste. Most dishes I made tend to be on the spicier side, unless otherwise mentioned. Have fun with some 'chat patta' aaloo gobi.
Potato - 1 big (Idaho Potato)
Cauliflower - 1/4 th
Onions - 1/2 or 1 medium size onion
Green Chilies - 2 nos
Chili Powder - 1/2 tspn or if you like it spicy hot go to 1 tspn
Coriander Powdcr - 1/2 tspn
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1/2 tspn
Asafoetida - a pinch
Dry Mango Powder - sprinkle to give the dish a tang
1.Saute onions, green chilies and once onions are translucent add the ginger garlic paste
2. Saute further till the ginger garlic paste is cooked and express an aroma
3. Spoon in the powders and stir in briskly avoiding burning
4. Give it a minute and then add some water just a little like maybe 2 Tspn or if you are beginner go with 1/4 cup
5. Add the diced vegetables and cook on low fire until potato is cooked
1. You could add the potatoes in first and cook for a while before you add the cauliflower if you like cauliflower crisp
2. The above method tends to cook the cauliflower a little too well that it falls apart.