Thursday, June 17, 2010
The pictures are of bhel puri and if some of you get the urge to throw stones go right ahead. It's not an authentic recipe but believe me quite close to it without the hassle of making mint chutney, tamarind chutney, sweet chutney etc. Most of you I am sure will have the ingredients I have given for this recipe handy or an alternative. Well, talking about alternative here is an alternative recipe for bhel puri. Now you can't throw no stones no more, no more no more. Yeah! Rains make me sing. You should be glad this is not a video of cooking but just a blog you are spared the singing. while I enjoy this thunderous rain and pray that the tree does not fall over my apartment you have a nice day!
1. Bhel - 2 cups
2. Cucumber - 1/2
3. Tomato - 1 medium size
4. Onions - 1/4 or to taste (I like them but just a lil)
5. Green chilies - 1 finely chopped
6. Carrot - 1 grated
7. Tomato sauce - 1 Tbspn
8. Tamarind - 1 - 2 tspn pulp (I took a small piece half of a marble size ball I would say and soaked it in about 2 tbspn of water and then mashed and pulled at it but made some sauce)
9. Chat Masala - to taste (I threw in around 1 tspn
10. Black salt (its pink in color but its called khala namak, you figure) - to taste
11. Lemon juice - to taste
12. Chili powder - to taste
1. Chop all veggies to small pieces and set aside
2. Throw in all of the sauces or some of each with the chili powder, chaat masala and salt and started by adding the bhel. I let it soak in some of the sauce by stirring it vigorously.
3. Follow up with all the veggies, mix well.
3. Check for salt and masala and add more if you like. It is a good practice to start with a little of everything I have mentioned and then at the end if needed to add more
4. Squeeze in a few drops of lemon/lime juice and chopped coriander. Mix well and serve
5. On each serving plate you can sprinkle sev/ potato bhujiya etc. (Indian fried snacks, store bought)
1. The reason for adding tomato ketchup is so that it will give the sweetness that I couldn't with sweet chutney.
2. Its just a salad idea.