Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Meen Pollichathu / Fish baked in homemade sauce
Whole Tilapia with skin and tail on - 2
Onions - 1 Medium
Tomato - 1 large
Kokum - 1 small piece
Ginger - 1 Tbspn
Garlic - 1 Tbspn
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Chili powder - 1 Tbspn
Pepper powder - 1 tspn
Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup
1. Clean and gash the fish and pat dry. I cleaned out the gills, fins etc. I mostly get fish which is already gutted
2. Rub salt about 1/2 tspn, turmeric 1/2 tspn, pepper a little and vinegar just enought to moisten the powders or help you spread it on the fish. Marinate for about 1/2 hour
3. Soak the kokum in as little water as you need to soak
3. At this point you can start on your sauce. Saute the onions to tanslucent and add ginger followed by garlic and saute
4. Add all the powders turmeric, chili and pepper and once oil clears or you get the cooked smell add chopped tomatoes
5. Saute till oil seperates and add the kokum with the water.
6. You need a thick consistency for the sauce so if there is a lot of water cook it down and reducing the heat add coconut milk. Mix in and turn off the heat.
7. Place foil paper in case you do not have banana leaves into a baking pan big enough to hold the fish
8. Spread half of your sauce at the base
Searing the Fish
8. In a non stick skillet add a tinge or oil and brown the fish on both sides turning carefully to keep the fish in tact.
9. Place it over the sauce in the baking pan and top it with the remaining sauce
10. Close the foil over to wrap the fish and sauce
11. Bake in 300 F oven for 35 - 40 minutes.
Contributor : Sunitha