The recipe for the day, cherry winks were made during Christmas. I am still sticking to my no sweets regimen and please pray with me I keep it that way for a while. Blogging has gotten me into a sweet binge and I am trying to cut down for a while. Coming back to the topic of discussion the recipe is from my friend who instead got it from her mother. These were collected in a cook book, brought out by the ladies of her neighborhood in Kansas City, in the ‘40’s. They are crunchy and very pretty spiffed up with the maraschino cherries. I hope you enjoy this time tested cookies as much as I do.
Kreative blogger comes with some rules. Namitha and I have shared it with you before. We request everyone who receives the award to follow the rules.
Namitha and I am would like to especially thank you guys who gave us these awards.
Here is the 7 things that people may not know about me :-)
1. Have a love-hate relationship with rain.
2. Love Photography as much as I love cooking.
3. Get nervous about silly things (sometimes) but I face all the extreme situations confidently
4. Value friendships and glad that I have many friends whom I could count on :-)
5.A dessert maniac, and love almost anything that is sweet.
6.All through my life ,this is one sentence I've heard n number of times "you are getting thinner " :D
7.Love shopping for my kids
We were awarded by:
Renuka from love of cooking has shared the creative blogger award
S from Art, Food and Travel Chronicles Also shared the same award
Kitchen queen (Indu) and Soumya has awarded "happy 101"
Kalai of recipes diary shared Kreativ blogger
Spice of Spicebuds has shared Kreative blogger and beautiful blogger awards
Siddhi from cooked dil se has awarded us 'Happy 101' and Beautiful Blogger
Flour - 2 Cups
Baking Soda - 1/2 tspn
Shortening - 2/3 cup
Eggs - 2
Vanilla Essence - 1 tspn
Dates - 1 Cup chopped
Baking Powder - 1 tspn
Salt - 1/2 tspn
Sugar - 1 Cup
Milk - 3 Tbspn (add less to start with)
Pecans - 1 Cup chopped
Corn Flakes crushed - 2 Cups
1. Sift flour, baking powder, soad and salt together
2. Cream shortening, sugar
3. Add eggs in and beat followed by milk and vanilla essence
4. Fold in the dry ingredients and mix
5. Add pecans and dates mix
6. Drop a tablespoon each into corn flakes and roll till the doubh is coated.
7. Place on greased cookie sheet and top with 1/4 or 1/2 cherry
8. Bake in moderate over (350 D F) for 10-12 min
9. Cool and tin the cookies
Notes: The dough is sticky. Rolling in the flakes may seem hard, but if you use the spoon and lightly using your finger tip maneuver, you will be fine.