Toor daal (thuvara parippu)- 1 cup
Tomato(thinly sliced)- 1 (big)
Water- 2-3 cups
Garlic(grated or mashed)- 6-8 cloves depending on the size
Red chillies(broken into halves)-4
Chilli powder- 1/2tsp(if you want to make it more spicy)
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Tamarind water-acc to your taste
Salt-according to taste
1. Take 2-3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add daal.
2. Add salt and turmeric and also add the thinly sliced tomatoes if you don't mind seeing them quite mushy. Otherwise you can saute tomatoes while you do tadka (kaduku pottikkal)
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and wait till it splutter. Then add red chillies followed by garlic.
4. Saute till garlic is done and add curry leaves. (if you haven't added tomatoes in daal you can do it at this point and saute)
5. Add chilli powder and saute for a minute.
6.Add tamarind (vaalan puli) water and let it boil.
7. Mix all these into the daal and boil it to adjust the consistency of the curry.
You can saute some Spinach (paalak) after step 5 and add into this, if you like spinach.
This curry goes well with rice and rotis.
Note: If you do not want to add tamarind, use more tomatoes instead.